We Can Cook: Grilled Plums with Yogurt Dip
- Share this post:
We Can Cook, a great new book by Jessica Fishman Levinson, MS, RD, CDN, and Maja Pitamic, is filled with recipes and food-related activities designed for young children and their parents or caregivers to do together. We all know that involving kids in the kitchen is a great way to introduce children to new foods and help them gain a positive understanding of food and cooking. The book’s recipes are not only nutritious, but they’re tasty as well–many are favorites like Mac ‘n’ Cheese and Chicken Fingers (and of course there are some sweet treats). Every recipe includes step-by-step instructions directed at parents and includes tasks that are appropriate for 3 to 6 year-olds (and of course, older children can also help create the culinary, child-friendly masterpieces). Overall, We Can Cook makes cooking and eating fun for both children and their parents.
Below you’ll find a sweet, nutritious fruit-filled recipe that makes a great mid-day snack or dessert.
Grilled Plums with Yogurt Dip
Grilling fruit is a great way to make it more interesting. Plums are an excellent source of the antioxidants anthocyanins, which are commonly found in red and purple fruits and vegetables, and vitamin C.
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup nonfat Greek or plain yogurt
4 tsp honey
A grill or grill pan
A small to medium bowl
1. Cut the plums in half by cutting along the seam to the pit, then show your child how to twist each half in opposite directions to separate them. Remove the pits.
2. Help him to lightly brush the plums with olive oil, using his fingers, and set them aside.
3. Spray the grill with cooking spray and heat it to medium-high. When it is hot, add the plums to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip the plums and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes.
4. While the plums are grilling, ask your child to add the yogurt and honey to a bowl and mix them together using a fork until they are well combined.
5. When the plums are finished cooking, remove them from the grill and set one plum on each plate. Help your child spoon approximately 1⁄4-cup of the yogurt-honey dip on each plate (next to or on top of the plums—he can decide).
What simple favorite sweet treat do you like to prepare with your kids?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked