Celebrate Carbonara Day!
- Share this post:
Disclaimer: I am a member of the Passion for Pasta Advisory Council (Barilla). As always, all opinions are my own. Read my disclosure statement here.
It’s Carbonara Day!
Pasta, the ultimate comfort food. What’s not to love? Today—April 6th—is #CarbonaraDay. To celebrate this classic dish, here’s a recipe from Barilla’s very own Chef Lorenzo Boni below.
1 box spaghetti
6 ounces guanciale (cured unsmoked pork jowl) or pancetta
5 egg yolks
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, beat egg yolks with a pinch of salt and 1/3 of the grated Pecorino.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
3. Add guanciale, cut into strips, and sauté for a few minutes until lightly browned.
4. Meanwhile, boil pasta in a large pot of salted water according to package directions.
5. Drain, reserving some of the cooking water, transfer to the pan with the guanciale and mix well.
6. Remove pan from heat, add beaten egg yolks with a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water and mix for about 30 seconds,
7. Add the remaining Pecorino and mix well.
8. Serve immediately, garnished with a generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
Image via Lorenzo Boni, Executive Chef, Barilla.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked