8 Great Back-to-School Breakfasts
- Share this post:
I recently wrote a post for Parents.com that included experts’ nutritious and delicious back-to-school recipes. The response to recipe requests from my colleagues was so overwhelming, I decided to share a few more gems here. Enjoy!
1. Egg Pita Pocket. Scramble 1 to 2 eggs. Place in 1/2 of a 7-inch pita pocket. Top with 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese and salsa. Pair with fresh seasonal fruit.
2. Chocolate Peanut Butter and Banana Muffin Top. 1 double chocolate Vitamuffin top topped with 1-2 tablespoons natural peanut butter and 1/2 sliced banana.
3. Protein-Rich Smoothie with Wheat Germ and Chia Seeds. (Recipe courtesy of Kretschmer.) Place 1/2 cup fat-free milk, 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt, 1 frozen medium banana, 2 tablespoons unsweetened smooth peanut butter, 1 tablespoon Kretschmer Honey Crunch Wheat Germ, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1-1/2 cups baby spinach and 4 large ice cubes into a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Serve cold. Serves 2.
4. Yogurt and Granola Parfait. 6 to 8 ounces nonfat Greek or regular low-fat or nonfat yogurt layered with fresh berries or fruit of choice and topped with 1 crumbled granola bar (like a Fiber One bar).
5. Peanut Butter Banana Dog. Spread peanut butter (or any nut butter or sunflower seed butter) in a whole wheat hot dog bun. Place peeled banana in bun. Enjoy with glass of nonfat milk.
6. Cherry Vanilla Freeze. Combine 3/4 cup frozen pitted sweet cherries, 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt, 2 ice cubes and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in blender or food processor and blend. Drink immediately. Serve with a slice of whole wheat toast.
7. Cantaloupe-Raspberry Smoothie. Add 1/2 cup cantaloupe chunks, 1 cup Oikos nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt, 1 cup raspberries and a handful of ice cubes to blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and enjoy! Makes 2 servings.
What’s your favorite morning meal?
Image of the Protein-Rich Smoothie with Wheat Germ and Chia Seeds via Kretschmer.
Full disclosure: I have no financial or other ties to any of the specific brands or products mentioned.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked