3 Terrific Tuna Recipes
- Share this post:
Here are three delicious twists on tuna* you and your family are sure to enjoy.
Change of Pace Tuna Casserole from Don’t Break Your Heart Cookbook.
1 (10-ounce) can condensed 98 percent fat-free, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 pound whole wheat rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
2 tablespoons trans-free margarine
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 (6-ounce) cans of tuna, drained
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, blend soup with sour cream until smooth. Add pasta and pimiento; set aside.
3. Melt margarine in a sauté pan and sauté mushrooms, onions, and celery until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
4. Mix vegetables into soup mixture; fold in tuna.
5. Pour tuna mixture into a lightly-greased 11/2-quart baking dish. Top with almonds. Bake, uncovered, about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Cooking Tip: To make this meal more nutritious, add a 10-ounce (283.5-g) package of thawed, frozen vegetables, such as chopped broccoli or mixed stir-fry vegetables, when you add the pasta to the soup in step 2.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 335 Total Fat: 11 g Saturated Fat: 3 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 31 mg Sodium: 416 mg Total Carbohydrates: 37 g Dietary Fiber: 7 g Sugars: 5 g Protein: 22 g Iron: 3 mg
Provencal Grilled Tuna Salad from Don’t Break Your Heart Cookbook.
4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks, each about 1-inch (2-cm) thick
3 tablespoons white wine or broth
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) dried
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups salad greens
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup each thinly sliced red and yellow bell peppers
Nonstick cooking spray
1. Place fish in a glass dish.
2. To make vinaigrette, combine wine or broth and next 5 ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well.
3. Pour 2 tablespoons (30 ml) over fish, add garlic, and turn to coat. Marinate for 15 to 30 minutes, turning once. Reserve remaining vinaigrette for salad dressing.
4. Coat grill rack with cooking spray and place on grill to heat 1 minute. Place tuna on grill 4 to 6 inches (10 to 15 cm) over heat source. Cover with lid or tent with foil. Cook, turning once, until tuna begins to flake easily when tested with a fork, about 7 minutes. Discard marinade.
5. Meanwhile, arrange salad greens on 4 plates. Place hot tuna on greens and add cherry tomatoes and peppers.
6. Shake remaining vinaigrette and drizzle over salads.
Nutrients Per Serving: Calories: 273 Total Fats: 11 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 55 mg Sodium: 158 mg Total Carbohydrates: 8 g Dietary Fiber: 2 g Sugars: 2 g Protein: 36 g Iron: 2 mg
Acapulco Tuna Salad from The DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution.
Makes 4 servings
2 6‑ounces cans tuna, very low sodium
2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise or regular mayonnaise made with olive oil
1 medium tomato, diced
½ small sweet onion, diced very finely
1 jalapeño, diced, seeds and spines removed
1 tablespoon lime juice
Drain the water from the tuna and mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 112 Total Fat: 3 g (with EVOO regular mayo) Cholesterol: 40 mg Sodium: 115 mg Total Carbohydrates: 3 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Protein: 18 g
*According to the FDA, women who are planning to get pregnant, pregnant or nursing and young children can safely eat up to 12 ounces of light tuna or up to 6 ounces of albacore tuna each week.
Change of Pace Tuna Salad and Provencal Grilled Tuna Salad reposted with permission from Don’t Break Your Heart Cookbook by Shara Aaron, MS, RD and Monica Beardon, RD, LD.
Acapulco Tuna Salad reposted with permission from The DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution by Marla Heller, MS, RD.
Full disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of The DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution from the publisher.
How do you like to eat tuna?
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked