This delicious breakfast recipe from the new book, Slim Calm Sexy Diet (Rodale, 2012) by Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN, with Sarah Mahoney, is sure to please both your palate and your heart. It provides a healthy dose of sweet raspberries that boast antioxidants like vitamin C, as well as fiber, vitamin K, manganese and other nutrients. The dish also provides protein to fill you up. An added bonus: the pecans provide an even greater nutritional boost because of the antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals, and healthy fats they contain. Enjoy!
1 cup raspberries
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1 large omega-3-enriched egg
1 tablespoon fat-free milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 slice whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon chopped pecans
1. Mash 1/4 cup of the raspberries with 1/2 teaspoon of the honey in a small bowl with a fork. Add the ricotta and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. Coat a small nonstick skillet with canola oil cooking spray and place it over medium heat
3. Beat the egg, milk, and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Dip the bread in the egg mixture and flip to coat both sides.
4. Transfer the bread to the skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until the egg is lightly browned.
5. Top it with the reserved ricotta mixture, and spinkle on the pecans and 1/4 cup of the remaining raspberries. Drizzle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of honey and garnish with additional cinnamon, if desired. Serve with the remaining 1/2 cup of raspberries on the side.
Source: Adapted with permission from Slim Calm Sexy Diet (Rodale, 2012) by Keri Glassman, MS, RD, CDN with Sarah Mahoney.
Full disclosure: I received a free copy of Slim Calm Sexy Diet from the publisher.